What Difference a Day Makes?

Experience is a brutal teacher but you learn. My God do you learn. -C.S. Lewis

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Facebook and Profession

Of all the generations, I really applaud the most those who came from an age where Facebook was not invented. This came into mind when I've been currently active being online on Facebook, coming across annoying post of some people. Is it just me, or they're just really irritating?

I have known a few great people from older generations. Doctors, Lawyers, Nurses. Too bad, they weren't given the chance to post their first intubation, or be proud about reading very thick law books, or flaunt about how many patients they've handled by themselves? I feel so sorry for them because if only Facebook knows how great they are, they would have more acknowledged.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe it's not because of Facebook. Maybe it's just the people who want to broadcast everything. Those people I know, from older generations have their account on Facebook now. How come I never saw them boast about their success? I have patiently been waiting for their status to change, saying "I diagnosed a rare disease!" or "I sent a criminal to prison!" or "I have inserted an IV catheter on a severely dehydrated patient!" Maybe because these people know that they are admirable at their job and they don't need many "likes or comments" to confirm so.

I do post on my status about what I do, but as you can see, it's far from flaunting. It's either I am gratified with my job, or I want the person to see how much I hate him/her in my workplace, or something/someone made me laugh that day. I DO NOT VIOLATE THE CONFIDENTIALITY OF MY PATIENTS.

This does not apply to everyone. Just for some who really bug me. I am not harsh, I just feel for my friends whose skills were not seen by the public because they don't post it. These people, I believe, are people with substance, who don't need to feel good about themselves because their being a blessing to other is what's making them feel good.


Disclaimer: I do not own the photo. Credits to the owner. 

No comments: