What Difference a Day Makes?

Experience is a brutal teacher but you learn. My God do you learn. -C.S. Lewis

Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Untimely Death of Lexie Grey

May 10, 2007 when a likeable character entered the limelight of my favorite medical drama called "Grey's Anatomy." Dr. Lexie Grey, an aspiring surgical intern who chose Seattle Grace to work so she could find answers for the death of her mom, who happened to just die with hiccups as her primary symptom. I can practically remember her first scene when she was sitting in a bar, alone, where she also met Dr. Derek Shepherd, whose relationship with Meredith Grey, Lexie's half sister was still on the rocks. She then appeared in the intern's locker room, where she met Dr. George O' Mally who later on became his best friend and fell in love with him, but never really got the chance to be with him. As a result of being hurt, she met Dr. Mark Sloan, who became the love of her life. Just like any other love story, theirs was not perfect. They had a lot of things to deal with, met people who got involved with them and faced a lot of truth that are so hard to handle. Lexie Grey's potential was never an issue. She had a photographic memory which made her on top of her game. She rose above other interns and even attendings and residents admired her brain and skills.

I couldn't think of any reason why I would not like Lexie. She is just a perfect picture of any of us. Someone who struggles in life, in love and in career. She's weak but optimistic. Even Meredith who had difficulty letting people in loved her and accepted Lexie as her sister. Mark Sloan, a man who doesn't stick to a serious relationship believed that they are meant for each other. That's who Lexie is. I was glad that she became a part of Grey's Anatomy. I envisioned  her being my friend, just like some of the characters in a TV series that I love. I get attached. I get involved. That is why when I watched the season ender of GA season 8, I can't explain this bleakness I feel. Lexie died when their plane crashed on the way to a hospital where their skills were required. Preceding her death, Mark Sloan confessed his love for Lexie. I feel excessively terrible. All I want is for Lexie and Sloan to be together! Is it mean if I want Sloan to die in that plane crash, too? This is what I want the story to be next season. I want Mark Sloan to die so they could be together, now. Lexie's death will not be for nothing.

I have been with GA for almost 8 years now and almost 5 years with Lexie. In my heart, nothing can replace the character of Lexie. The same thing with Dr. Izzie Stevens and Dr. George O' Mally. I have loved them and I can't explain how much loss I felt when they were gone. Season 8 has been one of the most traumatic cliff hangers I have watched. I don't know what awaits for me and GA without Lexie. I feel like losing a friend. It's unbearable. I will get over this, but not yet. I will grieve for the loss of Lexie because I will miss her beyond words.


Disclaimer: I do not own the photo. Credits to the owner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment